Friday, September 10, 2010

Special Bonus: Me on Steve Waugh.

Ah, the good old days. I found this paragraph, which I must've written for some competition or other - the question was probably 'Why do you love Steve Waugh?'  I have one of my housemate's answers on file as well, so I wasn't just writing random panegyrics to Steve... not that there's anything wrong with that.
I love Steve because he is a stubborn, competitive and occasionally ruthless captain who has lead our team in carving a swathe of devastation through international cricket. Despite the nay-sayers bemoaning the lack of competitiveness, we love to win, and Steve gave us lots of wins. We will excuse a man much who succeeds, and fortunately Steve has not given us much to forgive him for. What he has given us is years of beautiful cricket as a player and as a captain. When he finally goes he’ll be sadly missed, but I know that his mark on Australian cricket will live on.
I probably wouldn't call his cricket 'beautiful' these days, but then again, I like Shane Watson, so maybe I would.

I miss Steve, and one of my highlights of being at Lords last year is that I walked past him.

No comments: